30. ‘The Pink Panther’ (1963) – Blake Edwards
David Niven may be the main character, but Peter Sellers steals the show as the clumsy Inspector Clouseau set to Henry Mancini’s iconic panther theme.
29. ‘The Nutty Professor’ (1963) – Jerry Lewis
Jerry Lewis went Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as Professor Kelp and Buddy Love, inspiring an Eddie Murphy remake with a farting scene for the ages.
28. ‘Beverly Hills Cop’ (1984) – Martin Brest
Eddie Murphy’s Axel Foley carried a comedic social commentary in a film that still remains one of the highest grossing comedies of all time.
27. ‘Happy Gilmore’ (1996) – Dennis Dugan
Love him or hate him, there’s no denying the blockbuster success of Adam Sandler, from his class clown antics in “Billy Madison” to his raunchy rivalry with Shooter McGavin in “Happy Gilmore,” together forming the production company Happy Madison.
26. ‘Bridesmaids’ (2011) – Paul Feig
Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy became overnight sensations with this laugh-out-loud take on bridesmaids gearing up for the big wedding day.
25. ‘Shaun of the Dead’ (2004) – Edgar Wright
Before “Hot Fuzz” and “Baby Driver,” Edgar Wright put himself on the map casting Simon Pegg in a zombie spoof that inspired the likes of “Zombieland.”
24. ‘The Music Box’ (1932) – James Parrott
Laurel and Hardy try like hell to push a piano up a flight of stairs in the first film ever to win the Oscar for Best Live-Action Short.
23. ‘The Odd Couple’ (1968) – Gene Saks
Long before “Grumpy Old Men,” Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon played Oscar and Felix so hilariously that they inspired a hit TV sitcom.
22. ‘Office Space’ (1999) – Mike Judge
Ummm, yeah … I’m gonna need you to admit that “Office Space” is one of the funniest, flair-filled comedies of all time, OK?
21. ‘Clerks’ (1994) – Kevin Smith
This gritty black-and-white comedy turned a convenience store into a Sundance sensation and made household names of Jay and Silent Bob.
20. ‘Borat’ (2006) – Larry Charles
Sacha Baron Cohen has made a “very nice” career out of playing unique fictional characters to interview real people and elicit real reactions.
19. ‘This is Spinal Tap!’ (1984) – Rob Reiner
Rob Reiner and Christopher Guest amplified our funny bones all the way “up to 11” in this side-splitting rock mockumentary.
18. ‘The Naked Gun’ (1988) – Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker
After their TV spoof “Police Squad,” Leslie Nielsen reunited with Team ZAZ as the hilariously incompetent Detective Frank Drebin.
17. ‘Coming to America’ (1988) – John Landis
Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall were hilarious in this tale of a pampered African Prince who travels to Queens to find a wife. Where is the spoon?
16. ‘Ghostbusters’ (1984) – Ivan Reitman
Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson slimed us with a pop culture phenomenon set to Ray Parker Jr.’s soundtrack.
15. ‘Young Frankenstein’ (1974) – Mel Brooks
Gene Wilder was never better than “Puttin’ on the Ritz” with Peter Boyle, Madeline Kahn, Teri Garr, Marty Feldman and Cloris Leachman.
14. ‘The Big Lebowski’ (1998) – Coen Brothers
Some viewers may feel “out of their element” watching this cult comedy classic, but diehard fans insist that the Dude abides.
13. ‘The 40-Year-Old Virgin’ (2005) – Judd Apatow
Steve Carell fell for Catherine Keener despite the peer pressure of Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd and Romany Malco in a deep cast of Jane Lynch, Kevin Hart, Leslie Mann, Elizabeth Banks and even Jonah Hill.
12. ‘Wedding Crashers’ (2005) – David Dobkin
Vince Vaughn fled a “stage five clinger,” while Owen Wilson wooed Rachel McAdams amid a Will Ferrell cameo: “Ma, the meatloaf!”
11. ‘The Hangover’ (2009) – Todd Phillips
We all wanted to join the Wolf Pack after Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis pieced together their drunken Las Vegas bachelor party.
10. ‘Animal House’ (1978) – John Landis
John Belushi hilariously called for a toga party, then botched Pearl Harbor trivia to rally the troops of the Delta fraternity.
9. ‘The Jerk’ (1979) – Carl Reiner
Steve Martin was at his zenith as Navin, thinking he’s born a “poor black child” and misinterpreting a sniper by shouting, “He hates these cans!”
8. ‘Dumb and Dumber’ (1994) – Farrelly Brothers
Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels were comedy gold as Hollywood’s biggest idiots complete with snazzy tuxedos, extra gloves and a headless pet bird.
7. ‘Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery’ (1997) – Jay Roach
Mike Myers’ dual role as Austin Powers and Dr. Evil delivered a Bond spoof filled with pop culture staples, from “Mojo” to “Yeah, baby,” that we’ll quote for “millions” of years.
6. ‘Monty Python and The Holy Grail’ (1975) – Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones
“Holy Grail” edges out “Life of Brian” as Monty Python’s best thanks to The Black Knight, Holy Hand Grenade and galloping coconuts.
5. ‘Caddyshack’ (1980) – Harold Ramis
Bill Murray, Chevy Chase and Rodney Dangerfield dominate this romp about golf caddies, pesky gophers and Baby Ruths in swimming pools.
4. ‘Airplane!’ (1980) – Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker
Surely, this sky-high spoof is one of the funniest movies ever made. We are serious — and don’t call us Shirley.
3. ‘Duck Soup’ (1933) – Leo McCarey
The Marx Brothers were on full zany display in this anarchist tale of Freedonia with Groucho’s zingers, Chico’s creativity and Harpo’s antics.
2. ‘Some Like it Hot’ (1959) – Billy Wilder
Billy Wilder pioneered the “dressing in drag” concept, as Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis flee ruthless gangsters by joining an all-female traveling band led by Marilyn Monroe (“Boop boop be do”) before ultimately revealing, “I’m a man!” “Well, nobody’s perfect.”
1. ‘Blazing Saddles’ (1974) – Mel Brooks
Mel Brooks and Richard Pryor deserve a badge for penning this western spoof with countless moments of comedic gold for the all-star team of Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Slim Pickens, Harvey Korman and Madeline Kahn.
Check out the other genres below!
Action | Adventure | Animation | Biopic | Comedy | Coming of Age | Courtroom | Crime | Documentary | Drama | Epic | Family Comedy | Family Drama | Fantasy | Film Noir | Gangster | Horror | Musical | Mystery | Politics & Media | Prison | Romance | Romantic Comedy | Science Fiction | Showbiz | Silent | Sports | Thriller | War | Western
Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.
© 2020 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.