As Monday morning rolls in, we’re providing TechWire readers with a quick recap of the past week’s news headlines.
Hot news for December 9-13 included: Durham was ranked 3rd on Inc.’s “Surge Cities” list of the top 50 best cities for startups; a new survey says 70% of Triangle firms are planning to boost hiring in 2020; Raleigh drone tech startup PrecisionHawk raised $32 million from several venture investors, bringing its total financing to $100 million; Truist (the result of the recent BB&T-SunTrust merger) picked Charlotte for its new Innovation and Technology Center; a new report from ApartmentList ranks Raleigh the 9th most-changing metro and 3rd of youngest home buyers; plus, read our Q&A with NC Google Fiber’s Jess George.
Also, here’s an interesting tidbit from Google’s 2019 Year in Search: The most-searched topics among North Carolinians were Hurricane Dorian, the Carolina Hurricanes and Nipsey Hustle.
Several North Carolina startups raised funding last week, including: Raleigh-based WalkMe ($90 million), RTP-based bioMASON ($5 million), Chapel Hill-based Xilis ($3 million), NC State research project Vaccinium Coordinate Agricultural Project ($6.4 million grant), Charlotte-based Passport ($65 million) and Raleigh-based PrecisionHawk ($32 million).
And, some national news: Morgan Stanley is cutting 1,500 jobs; Verizon Media is laying off 150 staffers; YouTube is intensifying its crackdown on hateful and violent speech on the site; Apple shares increased by 70% in 2019; here are the most-searched health questions on Google in 2019; streaming, #MeToo and diversity shaped a decade of change — here’s how.
Keeping with our Monday tradition, here’s a look back at 68 local, state and national headlines as reported by WRAL TechWire last week:
MONDAY December 9 Headlines:
TUESDAY December 10 Headlines:
WEDNESDAY December 11 Headlines:
THURSDAY December 12 Headlines:
- Citrix embraces machine learning to help clients tackle information overload
- David Gardner: Startups must accept reality of boards, oversight to land funding
- Duke professor wins $75,000+ grant to study molecules for treating neurodegenerative disease
- FCC moves to establish 3-digit number to reach suicide prevention hotline
- Fiber-rich Wilson moves forward with advanced workforce training
- Help me, Dr. Google: The 10 most asked health questions in 2019
- Hemp in your clothes? NC startup, partner design CBD-infused wearables
- How streaming, diversity, #MeToo shaped TV decade of change
- Now this is diversity: Women dominate Venture Asheville’s top 15 startups
- Reports reflect Raleigh’s evolving profile: No. 9 most-changing metro, No. 3 youngest home buyers
- Tech Today: DirecTV upping prices; Epic vs. Google, Pumpkin Man; Cisco’s Internet of Future + Red Hat, Intel news
- TransEnterix shares drop 11% after 13-for-1 reverse stock split
- What’s on NC citizens’ minds? Hurricane Dorian and Nipsey Hussle, according to our top Google searches